Promotion and strengthening of community based organisations has been the core of AKRSP(I)'s work since the beginning. Over time we have promoted range of community organisations based on community needs.
Women's federations play a critical role in women's empowerment. Based on the context and needs, these federations have taken up several activities for the benefit of their members. The following major activities have been taken up by various women's federations promoted by AKRSP(I):
Major interventions in Women's Federations
- Majority of the federations are ensuring schemes and entitlements for their members. Federations have ensured Rashan Cards, Widow Pensions, Elderly Pensions etc. for eligible members of the federations.
- All federations liaison with block and district level government offices for ensuring basic services like drinking water, sanitation and supply of rations.
- Federations in South Gujarat are working on land titles for women.
- One federation in Coastal Gujarat is working on domestic violence and other domestic disputes for ensuring legal justice for their members.
- Federations help their members in getting economic benefits like saving accounts, bank credit, agriculture activities and micro enterprises. Several types of micro-enterprises have led to economic security for women.
- Several federations helped their members get flagship insurance schemes promoted by the government.
Self Help Groups (SHGs)
Women Self Help Groups are engaged in ensuring financial services for their women members. A large proportion of SHGs have also taken up micro-enterprises as livelihood activity either as a group activity or supporting individual members. SHGs have also played an important role in motivating their members in taking up sanitation activities at household level. By the end of year 2016, the total number of SHGs promoted by AKRSP(I) reached over 4500 with morethan 55000 members.
Canal Irrigation Management Societies (CIS)
Participation of farmers in the management of canals is critical to effective and efficient use of water from medium and larger irrigation schemes. Canal irrigation management societies play important roles in equitable distribution of irrigation water, repairs and maintenance of canals, crop planning and collection of water charges.
Goat Rearing Groups (GRGs)
Goat rearing groups are platform for goat rearing households, particularly women, to learn best practices of goat rearing, collectivize the efforts on getting inputs like preventive veterinary services, and feeds etc. and better prices for goats. It is planned to evolve these groups in producer's organizations for providing stability to the initiative. Two producers companies have been formed in Madhya Pradesh: these companies will focus on goat rearing and poultry related services for their members.
Drinking Water and Sanitation Management Committees (WATSAN Committees)
Management and maintenance of drinking water and sanitation infrastructure post construction is very critical for continuous access of these services. Drinking water and sanitation committees are playing an important role in facilitating social norms around sustainable use such infrastructure. These committees also help to liaison with Panchyat and other departments wherever required. Monitoring the use of toilets built under Swachh Bharat Mission is a continuous activity for these WATSAN committees.